Electrician, including Provisional Electrician
Electricians must have satisfactorily completed a recognised apprenticeship in electrical installation.
They must be able to carry out electrical installation work efficiently in accordance with relevant statutory regulations and industry codes of practice.
They must have knowledge of the National Working Rules for the Electrical Contracting Industry, relevant statutory regulations and industry codes of practice including specifically The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989, The Electricity Safety, Quality & Continuity Regulations 2002 (so far as they both deal with consumers’ installation) and BS 7671 (as amended) IET Wiring Regulations.
They must have achieved the SVQ Level 3 Certificate in electrical installation jointly awarded by Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA) and the SJIB or an approved eqivalent.
Further information and details on the SJIB Training Schemes for Electrical Installation Apprentices and Adult Trainees can be found in Section I of the SJIB Handbook.
Provisional Electricians must have completed an apprenticeship in their country of origin and had their qualifications translated into English.
Provisional Electricians must have:
- The ECS Health and Safety Asessment or a valid approved equivalent (within the last 30 months); and
- Scottish Building Standards (completed with the last 3 years); and
- SQA [SELECT] Customised Award in Requirements for Electrical Installations to BS 7671 (completed within the last 5 years)
- City and Guilds IET Wiring Regulations to BS 7671 (full course)(completed within the ladt 5 years); or
- EAL Level 3 Award in Requirements for Electrical Installtion BS 7671 (code 60/5321/0); OR
- LCL Level 3 Award in Requirements for Electrical Installations (completed within the last 5 years) (cODE:601/5665/X)
- Registered on the Crediting Electrotechnical Certification Scheme (CEC)
A Provisional Grade Card is only valid for 18 months during which time an operative must have completed the CEC Scheme and achieved an SVQ Level 3 in Electrical Installation.
All operatives applying to be graded or up-graded must be in possession of an ECS Health and Safety Assessment or approved equivalent which is not due to expire within six months.